A few weeks ago I published a post talking about Valentine’s Day crafts. Then I posted a poll in my Instagram stories asking if you liked Valentine’s Day. A surprising amount of you said no! I’ll admit, it seems odd to me, because why wouldn’t you love a holiday where you can buy boxes of chocolate with puns on them?! But you guys are redeeming yourselves with a request for a Valentine’s Day Banner! It’s a super easy craft, and simple to personalize as well. Let’s get cracking!
Valentine’s Day Banner
- Dowel rod
- 1 18×12″ sheet of felt (I used white)
- 1 9×12″ sheet of felt (I used light pink)
- Embroidery floss and needle
- Fabric pen
- Ideally a cutting mat and rotary cutter, and a sewing machine.
Make a Valentine’s Day Banner
- Trim down your large piece of felt to 13.5×10.
- Add the V to the bottom of your pennant. I folded the felt in half and used the 30 degree line on my cutting mat. If you don’t have a mat, find an angle that you like and use a straight edge to cut it and replicate on the other side!
- Fold over the top 1 1/2″ of the pennant and use a sewing machine or a straight stitch to create a channel for the dowel rod to hang in.
- Cut a heart out of your smaller sheet of felt. I recommend cutting a paper pattern piece to make sure it’s even and that you like the size. You can also use that to make sure your lettering is even!
- Using your fabric pen, write your phrase on your heart. Scroll down to see some of my faves!
- Use the backstitch to stitch your letters onto the heart. Then, center your heart on the pennant and use a quick straight stitch to attach the heart to the pennant. Leave the top open to stuff with candy or other small treats if you want!
- Use more embroidery floss, yarn, or twine to make a hanger for the pennant and display!
- Traditional conversation heart quotes: be mine, text me, xoxo, soul mate, true love, kiss me
- Pop culture/Galentine’s Day: Netflix and chill, bae, on fleek, squad goals, yas queen, that’s what she said
- Anti-Valentine’s Day: love stinks, you wish, no thanks
- Lyrics: love you like xo, all of me loves all of you, I’m amazed by you, you’re my sweetheart, make you feel my love
See? A Valentine’s Day Banner can be yours in an hour. When I was younger, my mom would make us Valentine’s Day treat bags candy, but also usually with a book or something to read. I always loved the book (shocking that I became a librarian, right?), and I can’t wait to continue that tradition with my own kids someday. What’s your favorite Valentine’s Day gift to give or receive?